Monday, April 10, 2006

The Bad Monkey

This was a play script that my best friend TJ and I came up with around 1st or 2nd grade. We performed it in front of my mother.

Basically there is a monkey who insults these two dogs all the time. The dogs plan to get revenge on the monkey. They get the shark to help them. Then they lure the monkey into the water (I think they do something like get the monkey to chase them, run up to the edge of the water, and then step aside at the last minute as the Monkey runs past them.) At which point the shark eats the monkey.

In retrospect, this seems a little harsh for a monkey who was only guilty of insults. I’m not exactly sure why my youngest stories tend to be my most violent. But then again, if you look at the fairy tales and bible stories I grew up on, it’s probably no wonder.

There was a sequel as well that I wrote over the following summer. The two dogs meet a monkey who looks sad. They ask him what is wrong. He tells them his brother was just killed by two dogs. The dogs either confess, or the monkey figures it out, and there is a fight. The monkey swears revenge, and there is another plan devised to kill the second monkey. (It was slightly more elaborate, but I think the end might have also involved being eaten by a shark).

No comments: