Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The True Story of Little Red Riding Hood

This was in 6th grade. We had been studying legends and fairy tales, and our assignment was to re-write one of the standard fairy tales.

This version of "Little Red Riding Hood" I wrote was heavily influenced ( slash plagiarized) from the Musical "Into the Woods" which my mother had taken me to see earlier that year. But, aside from the idea of Little Red Riding Hood being a chubby candy eating glutton, I think there's enough of my own ideas in this to still call the story my own.

This story was voted the best by my classmates, and so we used it for our skit at the inter-scholastic "Legends and Fairy Tale Conference" (or something like that.) The teacher re-wrote it as a play, and my classmates drew pictures of this story to use as a slide show.

I am the "so-called" big bad wolf in the story of Little Red Riding Hood. Let me tell you the real story.

One day when I was feeling bored, a chubby little girl was skipping through the woods eating as she went. "Where are you going little girl?" I asked.

"I'm just going on a picnic," she said as she flung her red cape around her shoulders.

At this point I was so bored I was willing to do anything. "Can I go on the picnic?" I asked.

"Sure, the more the merrier," chimed the little girl. We went to a nice quiet river and began to chow down. The little girl must have had eyes bigger than her mouth because she packed enough food for days. She ate all the candy and nothing else. I ate nothing because it was all people food, and I just waited patiently for the picnic games.

After the girl polished off the last of the candy, she shook my paw, thanked me for coming, and started back to her house.

"Isn't your mother going to be mad when she sees all you ate was candy?" I called out.

She froze. "You're right," she said. "As long as I'm in the area, I'll drop the rest off at Grandmother's house."

"One more thing," I added. "Aren't we supposed to play games? I didn't come all this way just to watch you eat."

"If you're so big about games," she said, "then we'll play 'Who can get to Granny's house first'. I'll go this way, and you go that way, and the first one who gets to Granny's house wins."

It was a dumb game, but I was so bored I was willing to do anything. I ran like the wind, and would have won but on the way I saw three houses, a straw house, a stick house, and a brick house. I went to the straw house and...

...Well, that's another story altogether. Anyway, to sum it up, I ate two pigs, and almost got cooked myself after a narrow escape. The point is, because of this little detour I came to the house last.

Meanwhile Little Red Riding Hood had gotten to the house first and went inside. Her Grandmother had recently had plastic surgery done on her. But the surgeon was an amateur, and he had equipment problems, and the results were poor grandmother ended up looking very weird. Because of this she was not feeling well and was lying in bed trying to recover.

Little Red Riding Hood went into her grandmother's hut. "Oh, grandmother, what big hands you have," said Little Red Riding Hood.

"The better to hug you my dear," answered the grandmother.

"Oh, grandmother, what big eyes you have."

"The better to see you my dear."

"Oh, grandmother, what big ears you have."

"The better to hear you my dear."

"Oh grandmother, what a big mouth you have."

"The better to eat you my dear." Then they both laughed, because Grandmother had been joking.

Just about this time I arrived. When I walked through the door, Grandmother saw me and jumped out of bed in a fright and ran around the room screaming. Little Red Riding Hood, upon seeing this, thought that maybe Granny had really lost it after all, and hadn't been joking about eating her.

A Woodsman heard the commotion, and ran into the house. Seeing everyone running around, he naturally assumed the wolf was to blame, and cut my stomach open. Two little pigs came running out of my stomach, and I blacked out.

Little Red Riding Hood thought I would be hungry now that my lunch had run out of my stomach, so she filled up my stomach with rocks so I wouldn't be hungry.

I awakened to see the woodsman with his axe standing over me, so I decided to play dead. Fortunately they bought it.

When Little Red Riding Hood got home, she ran to her mother and said, "You'll never guess what happened. I was bringing food to Granny's and--."

"I thought you were going on a picnic. You were bringing food to Grandmother's house? Why how sweet," her mother interrupted.

"And I met this wolf after we went on a picnic--"

"Picnic?" Her mother asked.

"I mean after I met him he wanted to play a game, so he went one way and I went the other and I got there first, but Granny had turned into a wolf and I said, 'Grandmother, what a big mouth you have," and she said, 'The better to eat you my dear.' I thought she was kidding at first but then..."
And she told the rest of the story.

Well, you know how mothers are. The mother drew her own conclusion from the story, and told all the rest of the mothers. And that's how the story you know came to be.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

rubbish storyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Anonymous said...

Nice one!

Anonymous said...

Neat dude!

Anonymous said...

the most stupid thing i have ever heard

Anonymous said...

that was totally awesome!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

very mind blowing

Anonymous said...

clever story, except the plastic surgery bit spoilt it and the bit about the grandma answering the questions was not good( random )

Anonymous said...

Fail